The holiday season can be stressful for those of us who want everything to be picture perfect. From gathering with family and friends and missing those who aren’t with us to trying to buy gifts and traveling, the countless number of anxiety-producing moments can skyrocket during any holiday season.
Symptoms of stress and anxiety during the holidays can take many forms. An increase in anxiety may present as:
- Sleep difficult
- Relationship problems
- Unhealthy eating
- Unconscious snacking
- Repetitive social media scanning
- Endless online gaming
These behaviors have one overarching common experience — zoning out.
Recovering from this anxiety-building atmosphere is possible. But what can you do to begin reducing stress and anxiety during the holidays? Here are some starting points:
- Disconnect from online activities at least 2 hours before bedtime
- Listen to relaxing music
- Watch TV programs that are not high-energy and violent
- Find personal meaning in your day-to-day actions
- Connect with supportive people every day
- Incorporate relaxation breathing techniques regularly
- Re-establish a sense of control within yourself
Help is Here
If you need help reducing stress and anxiety during the holidays, Maison Vie can assist you with incorporating these suggestions especially breathing techniques and self-control behaviors. Family members are also a part of living in anxiety-building atmospheres, so bring them with you to build a fun, loving, and relaxing home environment, especially during the holidays. Contact us to see how we can help.